Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mid-Autumn Festival in Hong Kong


Yesterday was Mid-Autumn Festival. This is a big holiday in Chinese culture. It's all about the 团员 (tuan yuan- togetherness) of family. It's the festival where you all eat mooncakes, walk around with lanterns, 赏月 (shang yue- admire the moon) and think about your family overseas/away from you. 

The focus is on the moon because centuries ago, when lovers/family were far apart they could always come out and look at the moon and think about their loved ones who would also be looking at the very same moon and thinking about them. Furthermore the moon because of its roundness also denotes the continuity of family. It's really quite beautiful!

As I grow older I find that I really start to appreciate these things more and feel more in touch with my background/ethnicity.

Furthermore, this was the first Mid-Autumn festival where I have actually been away from my immediate family so it felt bittersweet to think about them. My dad is currently in China, I am in Hong Kong, my mum and brother are in Brisbane, Australia. Knowing that we would all be looking at the same moon even though we were oceans apart made that day feel even more special. 

Anyways, us girls at Patrick Manson also had our very own celebrations for Mid-Autumn Festival too =).

Beth and I got our very own lanterns to walk around with + mooncakes to share with the rest of the girls.

After the mooncake festivities we then went to Victoria Park (in Causeway Bay) to go to the L Lantern Carnivals) and also to see the Fire Dragon Dance.

It was so fun!

I had such a good night :)


Kelly (USA), Kat (Australia-Adelaide) and Me at the Lantern Carnivals. I'm wearing this adorable dress I got from Mongkok Markets for $70HKD ($10AUD).



The Custard and Black Sesame seed Hello Kitty Mooncakes.



Angel= Caramel + White Chocolate Chip, Devil= Chocolate (p.s. love how my camera can get the intricate details that my old one couldn't.)



Beth and I waiting for the bus to go to Victoria Park (look at our lanterns glow).



Beth and I roaming the streets of Causeway Bay.



Me with my Lantern



Photos seriously can't capture the whole atmosphere!












My wish on the "wishing well". So typically me, right? (I wish for an amazing year and a future full of Prada)




Kisses


Andrea, Tea and I


Such a fabulous night!!!!!

xox
Jane






2 comments:

  1. I don't think you needed to write your name on that wish for us to be able to tell it was you. =#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least I'm Unique, right? =P

    ReplyDelete