Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shopping in Mongkok

I officially dub Hong Kong the shopping Mecca. 


Last Saturday Kessie (Canadian Exchange student from UBC - but of Chinese descent) came with me to Mongkok on the Kowloon Island-side of Hong Kong. (For those of you who aren't familiar with Hong Kong- even though Kowloon is another island that forms part of Hong Kong it is literally only about 20 mins away from me by bus or bus+MTR (subway)). 


After a few weeks of not really shopping (due to the fact that we had to settle in and any shopping I did was only subsidiary to my main task that day) I have to honestly say I went nuts! The malls there are much more like China/Tokyo youth malls i.e. massive buildings with many floors and each floor with about like 50 tiny tiny shops. Of course, you get to haggle. (My island, Hong Kong island seems to be a lot more luxurious so Kowloon seems so much more affordable for me! Albeit quality is not that great!)

So anyways my intention was to go there and get a new digital camera- of course I ended up blowing my money WAY before that. (The camera was in fact the LAST thing i purchased before turning home.)

And with Australia's exchange rating all of a sudden soaring to $1AUD to every $7HKD you can imagine how excited I was shopping.

(SOME) of my purchases.

$80HKD (yeah so like $11AUD)- for these amazing wedges. So in right now! I love how they rip off all the latest styles in magazines/catwalk.



I regret this buy- it was my first bargain and I wasn't up to my normal standards. I paid $170HKD for these 2 pairs of flats. So like $30AUD for two pairs (although really it's not that bad either)









Smells like balenciaga ;). It's a mini mini clutch/coin purse but it comes with a long over the shoulder strap.


$80HKD - LOVE!






$80 HKD- jealous yet?





This is the smaller version of the Balenciaga I already purchased in Shanghai- $120HKD. Less than $20AUD



Fake Miu Miu Satchel- $120HKD.

On top of that I bought all sorts of dresses, tops, make-up etc. 


I ended up spending $4000HKD that day. (Gosh, it's easy to forget the value of money in places like that). I barely conquered one floor- so I'll have to go back. But my next shopping trip will focus on accessories!


The $4000HKD was inclusive of the camera I got. It's an Olympus M-5010. So good. HD video recording capability, super macro, beauty mode, 14 mega-pixels and a shittonne of features I dont understand. But apparently it's like the girlier version of the new Canon S95.  I paid $1840HKD for it. So not bad at all.

I can't wait to purchase my DSLR.

HK is my No 1 Love.

xox
J






Oh and just a photo Kessie took of me because I was literally going nuts with the shopping and she wanted to document it :)


2 comments:

  1. That miu miu knockoff is AMAZING!

    What DSLR are you getting?
    I got a canon EOS 1000D and it is beyond amazing!

    Miss & Love you. I always love it when you update your blog <3 Makes me want to come visit you that much more!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naww, it makes me feel so loved that you are reading my blog.

    Not sure if i should go Canon or Nikon? They are quite cheap in HK and especially since the exchange rate is so good now. Would you recommend yours?

    I think you should visit me (if not here then in China-shanghai - i think Calista and I wanna go back there =P) . I'd take you around for sure!

    xox

    ReplyDelete